Here was my experience on performing a migration of an SCCM primary site server for version 1606. Credit goes to the SCCM community out there…such a great resource.
Scenario: Primary Site Server with 26 distribution points
First get the prerequisites in order:
- Windows ADK
- Deployment Tools
- Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)
- User State Migration Tools (USMT)
- IIS @prajwaldesai has great notes on what is required and https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712264.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
- Install SQL (Verify your SQL version)
- SQL Server Feature Installation
- Database Engine Services
- Reporting Services – Native
- Feature Directories (Default)
- SQL Server Agent, Server Database Engine, Server Reporting Services
- Windows Authentication Mode – Enterprise Admins
- Backup Site Maintenance Task (Wonderful! Installation Media Everything! So awesome)
@anoopmannur ‘s article was the route I followed with these additions:
2. robocopy /source /destination /mir
For example robocopy \\train-sccm-dp.train.local \\train-file.train.local /mir
The restoration was easy but there were a few things that I overlooked. The WSUS server on the previous server was 10.0 GB and I didn’t make any effort to back it up prior so I setup WSUS up again. Also be sure to check the group memberships of your primary site server.
The below article from SystemCenter Dudes was super helpful but the part I didn’t understand was when the database was actually created. The step when the SUSDB is created (only post installation task to run):
That was it! The 1606 restore process was done. My struggles were with the below and that did take some research to figure out but hopefully I won’t be doing this for a while. 🙂
Slow Console performance while working with applications and deployments.
Resolve: We increased SQL memory usage from 8GB to 24GB and it made alot of difference.
Failed to get RDC signature path for package 00100150 version 2. Error = 2 SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 10/25/2016 3:40:09 PM 6260 (0x1874)
Resolve: Restart the distribution points and redistribute Content to DPs
Error: Software Update Point
PublishApplication(9380D44D-DA80-48C3-97DE-C9C528F73A2D) failed with error System.InvalidOperationException: Publishing operation failed because the console and remote server versions~~do not match.~~ at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.LoadPackageMetadata(String sdpFile)~~ at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetPublisher(String sdpFile)~~ at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.WSUS.WSUSServer.PublishApplication(String sPackageId, String sSDPFile, String sCabFile)
Resolve: Make sure the WSUS server service on your Software Update Point is running. Through the process, it was in a disabled state and took a bit (and talking with a friend) to find that (doh!).
Error: Trying to download apps from the application catalog but stuck at 0%:
Successfully queued event on HTTP/HTTPS failure for server ‘sccm-dp.train.local’ Error sending DAV request. HTTP code 500, status ‘Internal Server Error’ Error retrieving manifest (0x87d0027e). Will attempt retry 1 in 30 seconds. CContentDefinition::TotalFileSizes failed; 0x80070003
Resolve: Import HTTPS certs again for distribution points (password protected)
Inventory Data Loader failed to process the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\auth\dataldr.box\Process\HPP1QPNF.MIF because it is larger than the defined maximum allowable size of 5000000
Resolve: Adjust Max MIF size here: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_INVENTORY_DATA_LOADER\Max MIF Size
Great articles that helped me through this process: