Here was my experience on performing a migration of an SCCM primary site server for version 1606. Credit goes to the SCCM community out there…such a great resource.
Scenario: Primary Site Server with 26 distribution points
First get the prerequisites in order:
- Windows ADK
- Deployment Tools
- Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)
- User State Migration Tools (USMT)
- IIS @prajwaldesai has great notes on what is required and https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712264.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
- Install SQL (Verify your SQL version)
- SQL Server Feature Installation
- Database Engine Services
- Reporting Services – Native
- Feature Directories (Default)
- SQL Server Agent, Server Database Engine, Server Reporting Services
- Windows Authentication Mode – Enterprise Admins
- Backup Site Maintenance Task (Wonderful! Installation Media Everything! So awesome)
@anoopmannur ‘s article was the route I followed with these additions:
2. robocopy /source /destination /mir
For example robocopy \\train-sccm-dp.train.local \\train-file.train.local /mir
The restoration was easy but there were a few things that I overlooked. The WSUS server on the previous server was 10.0 GB and I didn’t make any effort to back it up prior so I setup WSUS up again. Also be sure to check the group memberships of your primary site server.
The below article from SystemCenter Dudes was super helpful but the part I didn’t understand was when the database was actually created. The step when the SUSDB is created (only post installation task to run):
That was it! The 1606 restore process was done. My struggles were with the below and that did take some research to figure out but hopefully I won’t be doing this for a while. 🙂
Slow Console performance while working with applications and deployments.
Resolve: We increased SQL memory usage from 8GB to 24GB and it made alot of difference.
Failed to get RDC signature path for package 00100150 version 2. Error = 2 SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 10/25/2016 3:40:09 PM 6260 (0x1874)
Resolve: Restart the distribution points and redistribute Content to DPs
Error: Software Update Point
PublishApplication(9380D44D-DA80-48C3-97DE-C9C528F73A2D) failed with error System.InvalidOperationException: Publishing operation failed because the console and remote server versions~~do not match.~~ at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.LoadPackageMetadata(String sdpFile)~~ at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetPublisher(String sdpFile)~~ at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.WSUS.WSUSServer.PublishApplication(String sPackageId, String sSDPFile, String sCabFile)
Resolve: Make sure the WSUS server service on your Software Update Point is running. Through the process, it was in a disabled state and took a bit (and talking with a friend) to find that (doh!).
Error: Trying to download apps from the application catalog but stuck at 0%:
Successfully queued event on HTTP/HTTPS failure for server ‘sccm-dp.train.local’ Error sending DAV request. HTTP code 500, status ‘Internal Server Error’ Error retrieving manifest (0x87d0027e). Will attempt retry 1 in 30 seconds. CContentDefinition::TotalFileSizes failed; 0x80070003
Resolve: Import HTTPS certs again for distribution points (password protected)
Inventory Data Loader failed to process the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\auth\dataldr.box\Process\HPP1QPNF.MIF because it is larger than the defined maximum allowable size of 5000000
Resolve: Adjust Max MIF size here: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_INVENTORY_DATA_LOADER\Max MIF Size
Great articles that helped me through this process:
How to install Software Update Point in SCCM 2012 R2
SCCM 2012 R2 Step by Step Guide
How to Migrate SCCM CB 1606 Primary server to new hardware or new virtual server
How To Deploy Software Updates Using SCCM 2012 R2